Best practice for network configuration

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 28 15:17:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:45:42AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>If you have 1000 servers, and you need to update the DNS settings,
>being able to do it on DHCP is a lot less work than doing the same to
>1000 servers.  And if you can't figure out how to setup a system to send
>the same config to two or three dhcp servers, then you shouldn't really
>be running servers in general I suspect.

One could argue that if you are running 1000 servers you should be using
a configuration management product to make these changes for you.  I do
agree that setting up redundant DHCP is pretty trial.

In general hostmastering involves about the same amount of work
regardless of the methods used.  One must maintain a record of IP
assignments whether done manually, via DHCP or some other method.  I've
never seen DHCP used on any scale for servers.

--
Neil Watson
Linux/UNIX Consultant