Best practice for network configuration

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 27 20:39:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 04:08:13PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> I recently came across a bunch of servers that uses DHCP for IP
> assignment and I found this really strange.  I have googled on what is
> recommended method on google and I do not seem to get anything
> authoritative.
>
> Would anyone out there no of any reason why it would be recommended to
> use DHCP on servers?  Is anybody out there using such a setup and what
> triggered you to take that route?

Well to some extent it makes your servers dependant on DHCP working to
stay up.  Of course you network may already be entirely dependant on
that so it may not be an issue.  Also DHCP can be made redundant.

As long as you are handing out static IPs by DHCP it doesn't seem like
that bad an idea, since it means you can manage the IP assignments from
one place.

I haven't ever done it that way personally, but I can vaguely see a few
valid arguments for finding it useful.  Quite likely if you had a lot of
servers if might actually start to be very useful from a management point
of view.  Being able to change the DNS settings and gateway settings
on all the servers in one place does sound handy.

--
Len Sorensen