Linux & supercomputers

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 25 19:29:12 UTC 2011

"Twice a year, the Top500 Project publishes its list of the fastest
supercomputers in the world. In the last announcement, we continue to
see Linux dominating the list. This is nothing new since Linux has been
dominating since the mid-2000s. In fact, Linux share in supercomputing
looks a lot like Microsoft’s historical share of the desktop market. I
thought it would be interesting to take a step back and look at the
performance capability of these computers as a whole and also how the
rise of Linux is mirroring the geographical expansion of supercomputers."

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2011/06/supercomputing-freakonomics-finding-meaning-beyond-headlines