USB causes kernel crashes...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 20 21:08:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 03:08:36PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> AMD Phenom Black Quad-Core, on a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 motherboard; the
> chipset is ATI all the way through. It's attached to an nVidia GeForce
> 7300 GS, an Asus Sonar Essence STX, a Realtek RTL8111/8168B ethernet
> chip, four SATA-II drives, one IDE drive, and three USB-connected external
> hard drives. It runs gentoo with kernel 2.6.39-r1 and udev-1.71, and is
> otherwise up-to-date with stable gentoo. No problems whatsoever on kernel
> 2.6.37-r4; all the crashes etc. are for kernels after that point.
>
> The hardware may be defective, but none of the defects were apparent before
> the last round of kernel/udev upgrades, and given that users across a wide
> variety of Linux distributions (gentoo/SuSE/Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/etc.) and
> a wide variety of hardware (intel/AMD), I'm inclined to suspect a software
> bug down deep in the internals somewhere.

I don't recall any ATI USB problems, although I have mostly been
ignoring ATI chipsets for a number of years now.

I did see mentions of a scsi layer bug in 2.6.39 that has been fixed
in 3.0-rc2 (and as far as I can tell 2.6.39.1 as well although having
not found the exact git commit that supposedly fixes it I am not sure),
which should explain the problem with USB storage devices.

--
Len Sorensen