A Open Source Software project that lets you map a computer network

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 19 22:09:55 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

I ended up using yEd.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Jason Shaw <grazer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've been using http://www.lucidchart.com/ which runs just fine in Chromium
> and in Firefox.  The downside is that you can't download an editable version
> using the Free version.  I haven't bothered to upgrade to the paid version
> as I just work on my diagrams "in the cloud" and download .png files to host
> on our wiki.
> -jason
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM, William O'Higgins Witteman
>> <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> > I use dia[1] for all my non-scripted diagramming needs.  For generated
>> > diagrams I use graphviz[2].
>> >
>> > [1] http://live.gnome.org/Dia
>> > [2] http://www.graphviz.org/
>>
>> I mirror that list, though I often use TCM for "structural modelling"
>>   http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/
>>
>> It's not nearly as "pretty" as Visio, but when designing stuff, less
>> is often more.
>>
>> I'll observe that the MacOS product, OmniGraffle, uses GraphViz as its
>> rendering tool.  I think there's room for a tool that helps generate
>> GraphViz files, graphically, but then uses the very-smart capabilities
>> of GraphViz to arrange the objects on the page.
>>
>> The two things Dia has as serious deficiencies, doubtless compared to
>> Visio, are:
>> a) Inability to import from dynamic things (e.g. - like reading in SQL
>> schemas to generate E/R diagrams, and such), and
>> b) Absence of automatic layout.
>>
>> The "OmniGraffle model" of using GraphViz to manage layout could be an
>> answer to that.
>> --
>> When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the
>> question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

 Want to send emails that can't be read by someone else

Some people ask "Why encrypt email?" The reason is simple: privacy. As
it stands, getting access to an email message is very easy to do.
Whether it's because of an email server being hacked, the email being
intercepted, or even laws that allow governments to go through all
electronic messages sent. You have a right to your privacy, but it's
up to you to protect that right.

* Encrypt with my pgp key which can be found here:
* https://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/GetWelcomeScreen.event
-- For more info go here: http://www.gnupg.org/ for GNU Version
   or here http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=pgp
   for business implementation.