Duke Nukem Forever

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 17:32:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Renata Rocha <natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> 1. 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetimes
>
> therefore
>
> 2. almost every single woman involved in the sex trade have been
> sexually assaulted

That's not what I said at all. They may be related issues, but I never said
one caused the other.

> The problem is number 1. When women decide to sell their bodies, THERE
> ARE MANY WHO ARE NOT FORCED, WHO DO THAT BECAUSE THEY WANT . You have
> to fight the root cause of #1. I've met a couple of ex-sex workers who
> did that because they liked sex, wanted money and at some point
> decided to leave. Sex workers need protection? Of course, but
> believing somebody becomes a sex worker "just because of childhood
> rape"  is naive.

Well, no, it's borne out by hard data accumulated over many decades of
research by people who have actually spent their lives counselling sex trade
workers. The fact that there are anecdotal cases of voluntary prostitution
does nothing to negate the cases of millions of women who are forced into
prostitution by drugs, abuse, or economics.

> And please define "sexual assault", as it looks like a very broad
> term. A weirdo masturbating in the subway is sexual assault? Bus
> groping? Or only rape?

Well, if you defined it that broadly then it would be 100%. I don't know,
would you be more comfortable with one fifth or one sixth? I suppose if we
tweaked the definition to only include the ones that didn't survive, we
might even get it down to an emotionally manageable number.

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:47, Thomas Milne
> <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Well, it's not about prejudice, it's about the fact that 1 in 4 women
> will
> > be sexually assaulted in their lifetimes, and the proven fact that almost
> > every single woman involved in the sex trade, the kind of women portrayed
> as
> > caricatures of 'whores' in this game, have been sexually assaulted as
> > children. Knowing these facts, it's hard for me to laugh at exploiting
> women
> > who have been abused and forced into addiction and prostitution. I'm
> sorry,
> > normally I'm not quick to judge, but when it comes to this issue in
> > particular I have no forgiveness.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Renata Rocha <natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Just to say that, hell, yes, I think it's utterly funny. If you want
> >> to fight prejudice, etc, work on your skills when girls join
> >> science/math school. That would be awesome.

> this

> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/06/duke-nukem-forever-review-barely-playable-unfunny-and-rampantly-offensive.ars

> be
> "Duke

> the
> be

> aliens

> >> --
> >> Renata Rocha
> >> http://renata.org
> >> --
> >> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
> >> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
> >

> > --
> > Thomas Milne
> >

> --
> Renata Rocha