Duke Nukem Forever

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 16:47:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:47:30PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> This evening I attended a meeting (Toronto Free-Net Board meeting)
> which finished before 9:00 PM so I was able to stick my nose into one
> of the big box electronics shops downtown. While there I actually held
> in my hands a copy of "Duke Nukem Forever" for the PC, no joke!
>
> For those who don't know the story here,  "Duke Nukem Forever" has
> been coming real soon now for some 15 (yes, 15) years, details to be
> seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever . "Duke
> Nukem Forever" has become the poster child for vaporware (software
> promised but not delivered).
>
> I have fond memories of playing "Duke Nukem 3D" against my brother
> over 10 years ago, and if I were still running MS Windows I would have
> been very tempted to buy a copy of "Duke Nukem Forever" just for the
> sake of nostalgia. Still I wonder, while I don't doubt there are some
> gamers who would buy the new game because they remember the old, I
> imagine that is a fairly modest market. So I will be interested in
> hearing how this game sells, as I assume most of the buyers will be
> viewing this as a totally new game...
>
> Oh, and in the words of the Duke (before shooting one of the aliens in
> the game) "Come get some, baby!". :-) .

I thought it was 13 years.  Long anyhow.

The reviews so far are that the result was very much not worth waiting
for.  Of course most reviews are of the xbox version which is apparently
rather unstable and broken in many ways that the PC and PS3 versions
supposedly are not.  Either way, it seems most people agree that is is a
game glued together from the pieces found on the floor of the development
room at the various companies that have worked on it over the years and
is exactly the mess one would expect that to result in.

Many people are now waiting for it to hit the bargain bin so that it
might be worth $5 or $10 just for nostalgia, but not much more than that.
Certainly not going to pay $60 for it.

--
Len Sorensen