Duke Nukem Forever

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 16:33:29 UTC 2011

On 16 June 2011 12:18, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Haven't played it yet myself, but from what I've read a good portion of this
> "humour" is really not funny but rather twisted...
>
> On 2011-06-16 8:47 AM, "Thomas Milne" <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Well, it's not about prejudice, it's about the fact that 1 in 4 women will
>> be sexually assaulted in their lifetimes, and the proven fact that almost
>> every single woman involved in the sex trade, the kind of women portrayed
>> as
>> caricatures of 'whores' in this game, have been sexually assaulted as
>> children. Knowing these facts, it's hard for me to laugh at exploiting
>> women
>> who have been abused and forced into addiction and prostitution. I'm
>> sorry,
>> normally I'm not quick to judge, but when it comes to this issue in
>> particular I have no forgiveness.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Renata Rocha <natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Just to say that, hell, yes, I think it's utterly funny. If you want
>>> to fight prejudice, etc, work on your skills when girls join
>>> science/math school. That would be awesome.

>>> kind

>>> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/06/duke-nukem-forever-review-barely-playable-unfunny-and-rampantly-offensive.ars

>>> held

>>> have

>>> in

Slashdot had a short article, including a pointer to a very negative
review at Ars:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/06/14/1332226/Ars-Technica-Review-Slams-Duke-Nukem-Forever

The Ars review opens with this: "In the first few moments of Duke
Nukem Forever, your character pees in a urinal and then earns an
achievement for reaching into a toilet and extracting a piece of human
excrement."  From which I can conclude that this isn't my type of
game.

Among the comments are links to a set of videos showing an initial
play-through of the game - I was surprised at how watchable it was,
the commentary is pretty amusing.  Although you'll do better skipping
through it rather than watching them entire as it's a LOT of footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MjzgTZriw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Yngipvz6M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86vWgaLuwE

--