OTA HD [ was: [OT] HDTV recommendations? ]

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 03:29:51 UTC 2011

The ethernet-based "HDHomeRun Prime" seems pretty cool. It's got a
pretty hefty price-tag, but also has three tuners. Seems it hasn't
been officially released though, so I wonder what it'll turn out to
cost in Canada.

The usual DRM suckage though:
  Full support of CableCard requires that every device and software in
the recording chain be certified as enforcing the copy protection
mandated by the software

I wonder what kind of copy-protection these devices use...

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 12:40 PM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> On 06/13/2011 11:40 AM, Tyler Aviss wrote:
>>>
>>> Along this vein,
>>>

>>> Does anyone know of good Linux+Myth friendly tuner cards that support
>>> OTA (over-the-air) digital TV?
>>>
>>> Extra points to USB-based tuners that do both analog/digital....
>>> --
>>> [...]
>>
>> To the point of this topic,
>>
>> A friend of mine has been using this USB turner with his ubuntu laptop and
>> desktop.
>>
>> Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q TV Tuner Stick
>> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116034
>>
>> I can't speak for a quality but it's worked light duty he puts on it. Just
>> trying to get the ball rolling on actual hardware discussion.
>> --
>> Scott Sullivan
>> [...]
>
> Tyler,
>
> A check of the wiki shows an incomplete list of Cards here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards
>
> The note at the top points out the MythTV targets the APIs and not the cards
> themselves and directs towards this:
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Device_Information
>
> I know it's not a hard opinionated recommendation, but is a place to start.
> --
> Scott Sullivan

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2/DCTS/CLA

"Computers don't make mistakes. They can, however, execute those
provided to them very quickly"