Looking for Speakers or Topics

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 18:28:21 UTC 2011

I'd be curious how you did it. I'm trying walking :)

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 06/15/2011 12:00 PM, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
>
>> So we don't have any speakers for any of the upcoming meeting. Anyone
>> want to volunteer for a talk? Or has a talk suggestion?
>>
>> One thing that came up at beer last night was a talk on Bitcoin.
>>

> How about a talk on the occupational hazards of being a desk jockey and
> what you can do to mitigate them? I got a (non life threatening) wake up
> call last year and started really paying attention to my health. In the
> process, I've learned more in one year about the topics of health, fitness,
> and nutrition than in all my prior years combined. I've gone from a paunchy,
> middle-aged geek to a lean, athletic guy who I'm told looks 10 years
> younger. My productivity is much higher. I have so much more energy and I
> feel great! I want everyone to feel the way I do so I'm happy to share what
> I've learned with anyone. The kicker is that none of what I've done has been
> tremendously difficult and only required learning and applying some crucial
> bits of information. In fact, it has been downright fun, something which I
> never would have imagined it would be. I could and should have done this
> years ago but I was caught up in the whole silly "I'm too busy right now.
> I'll get to it someday." There isn't a day of the week called "Someday" on
> the calendar so if you're currently in this mode, and I know based on having
> met many of you, you probably are, you need to take action sooner rather
> than later. In this talk, I'll cover the following.
>
> * Background
>
> * Why sitting for extended periods of time is killing you slowly.
>
> * The relationship between stress, diet, sleep cycles and belly fat.
>
> * How to start and more importantly, stay on a fitness regimen.
>
> * The best fitness regimen. (Hint: it's the one that you'll actually do!)
>
> * What metrics are important? (Hint: It's not weight, within reason.)
>
> * Why now is better than later. The longer you delay, the harder it is to
> reverse the damage you've already caused to your body. What is that damage?
> (And it isn't the usual, "It's bad for your heart.", etc.)
>
> * How to stay motivated. (Hint: It can't be "Sigh... I have to lose
> weight."))
>
> Granted, this is not about Linux but if you don't have your health, your
> Linux skills aren't going to matter very much. I can be available for a talk
> in September or later.
>
> By the way, I'm quite amused by the suggestion that the Mozilla Thunderbird
> spell-checker made for "Braithwaite" - Brainteaser. :)
> --
> Regards,
>
> Clifford Ilkay
> Dinamis
> 1419-3266 Yonge St.
> Toronto, ON
> Canada  M4N 3P6
>
> <http://dinamis.com>
> +1 416-410-3326

 Want to send emails that can't be read by someone else

Some people ask "Why encrypt email?" The reason is simple: privacy. As it
stands, getting access to an email message is very easy to do. Whether it's
because of an email server being
hacked<http://www.defendingthenet.com/Newsletters/HackingSMTPGatewaysCommandReference.htm>,
the email being
intercepted<http://www.wildid.com/default.asp?targetPage=http://www.wildid.com/email_interception.asp>,
or even laws that allow governments to go through all electronic messages
sent<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/05/16/eurocops_want_sevenyear_retention/>.
You have a right to your privacy, but it's up to you to protect that right.

* Encrypt with my pgp key which can be found here:
* https://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/GetWelcomeScreen.event
-- For more info go here: http://www.gnupg.org/ for GNU Version
   or here http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=pgp
   for business implementation.