Looking for Speakers or Topics

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 18:23:37 UTC 2011

On 06/15/2011 12:00 PM, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
> So we don't have any speakers for any of the upcoming meeting. Anyone
> want to volunteer for a talk? Or has a talk suggestion?
>
> One thing that came up at beer last night was a talk on Bitcoin.

How about a talk on the occupational hazards of being a desk jockey and
what you can do to mitigate them? I got a (non life threatening) wake up
call last year and started really paying attention to my health. In the
process, I've learned more in one year about the topics of health,
fitness, and nutrition than in all my prior years combined. I've gone
from a paunchy, middle-aged geek to a lean, athletic guy who I'm told
looks 10 years younger. My productivity is much higher. I have so much
more energy and I feel great! I want everyone to feel the way I do so
I'm happy to share what I've learned with anyone. The kicker is that
none of what I've done has been tremendously difficult and only required
learning and applying some crucial bits of information. In fact, it has
been downright fun, something which I never would have imagined it would
be. I could and should have done this years ago but I was caught up in
the whole silly "I'm too busy right now. I'll get to it someday." There
isn't a day of the week called "Someday" on the calendar so if you're
currently in this mode, and I know based on having met many of you, you
probably are, you need to take action sooner rather than later. In this
talk, I'll cover the following.

* Background

* Why sitting for extended periods of time is killing you slowly.

* The relationship between stress, diet, sleep cycles and belly fat.

* How to start and more importantly, stay on a fitness regimen.

* The best fitness regimen. (Hint: it's the one that you'll actually do!)

* What metrics are important? (Hint: It's not weight, within reason.)

* Why now is better than later. The longer you delay, the harder it is
to reverse the damage you've already caused to your body. What is that
damage? (And it isn't the usual, "It's bad for your heart.", etc.)

* How to stay motivated. (Hint: It can't be "Sigh... I have to lose
weight."))

Granted, this is not about Linux but if you don't have your health, your
Linux skills aren't going to matter very much. I can be available for a
talk in September or later.

By the way, I'm quite amused by the suggestion that the Mozilla
Thunderbird spell-checker made for "Braithwaite" - Brainteaser. :)
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis