[OT] HDTV recommendations?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 20:38:56 UTC 2011

Walter Dnes wrote:
> * Check for overscan.  I don't understand what the idiots are doing.
>    This is so 20th century.  Back then, TV's used CRT (Cathode Ray Tubes)
>    and the picture would shrink over time.  An older TV would have small
>    black borders around the edge of the picture due to shrinkage.

Actually, that wasn't the problem as it could be compensated for with
the height and width controls.  The real issue was power line voltage
variations.  Those old sets had no voltage regulation, so the height and
width would vary with the power line voltage, which could change
significantly throughout the day.