[OT] HDTV recommendations?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 18:55:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:15:38PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> > We ended up getting this one, not in small part because we got a pretty
> > amazing deal:
> >
> > http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN32C450E1DXZA-features
> >
> > We found it at The Source, and since my wife works for Bell we got it for
> > $365.
> >
> > It's not 1080p, and it's only 32", but this is a second TV, for a
> 'playroom'
> > that our kids use primarily. We already have a 42" plasma in the main TV
> > room. That is connected to a PS3 that already has Netflix :)
>
> It's the worst possible kind of HDTV you can get.  It's the @#$@#$#@$
> 768 resolution shit.  Until people stop buying this crap they will keep
> making it.

Okay, I can definitely see what you mean now. It's not 'oh god that's
terrible' (to me), but I can see how the extra pixels cause the slight
blurring. Here's the funny thing: it only happens with the computer, not
with the PS3. Anything I display from the PS3, on either of my TV's, is
crystal clear. For some reason the PS3 just gets it perfect and the pixels
all look crisp. With the computer connected, the desktop is crystal clear,
and the blurring is only slightly noticeable with live action scaled to full
screen, and a bit more noticeable with animation.

> I guess I lucked out, because it does have the ATSC tuner you mention. It
> > will very likely never be hooked up to an antenna, as it is hooked up to
> the
> > computer I just built, so with XBMC it can bring in Youtube as well as
> the
> > WD media server I have. Plus my daughter can apparently use this TV with
> her
> > iPod, though I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Eventually I would
> > like to bring in CBC maybe...
> >
> > The only thing that pissed me off is that I will have to buy a new cable
> for
> > audio. If you use an HDMI cable from a PC, you have to use a PC audio
> jack
> > to plug into the TV, you cannot use the regular AV audio inputs. Other
> than
> > that I'm not at all unimpressed.
>
> You can get a real 1080p display for that kind of money.
>
> I would NOT call that an amazing deal.

Now I kinda see what you mean. A hard lesson, but on balance not the worst
outcome ever :)

> --
> Len Sorensen

Thomas Milne