[OT] HDTV recommendations?

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 17:00:52 UTC 2011

On 13 June 2011 12:07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The harmony does the best it can but why the designers
> couldn't have used a few more IR codes to do a sane job is crazy.

Discrete input select codes would generally only benefit activity
based remotes that can handle multiple devices and configurations
(such as a Harmony). The designers only needed to meet the
requirements of the remote that was going to be used to control the
TV. If they needed to include an individual code for selecting each
input, then that would mean they intended to have buttons on the
remote to match.

My TV has 9 possible input sources. That would mean that its remote
would need 9 keys for input selection. Are you going to allow the user
to somehow label these keys to make it easy to know what attached
device you're selecting? Are you going to backlight these labels to
make selection easy in the dark?

While we're at it, why not add individual keys for each aspect ratio,
picture mode, audio mode, etc. That would be an awfully big confusing
remote.

The "sane" way to select from more than two or three inputs is to use
an on screen menu. This is easy to see and operate, allows for custom
labeling, and also allows for removing unused inputs from the menu. On
the remote, you only need one "input select" key in addition to the
standard direction arrows and "select/enter" key.

Granted, adding individual codes for input select and other multiple
choice functions is probably easy to do and nice to have for third
party remotes, but you can't call the designers "insane" for not
including them. Not when getting something out in a minimum amount of
time and minimizing costs are considerations. Especially when it
doesn't affect most users.

--
Scott