[OT] HDTV recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 16:12:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:27:41AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> My 32" Sony Bravia is one of those 1366 x 768 models.  It looks
> fine.  I've often wondered if the 720 line sets use the entire
> display or just mask off 1280 x 720.  My Sony set has a "Display
> Area" setting, which I can use to set the display to 3 modes, "+1",
> "Normal" and "-1".  +1 displays in the original size, Normal is
> recommended size and -1 overscans.

A big part of the problem is that the scaling is hard to do right for
that ratio.  There is less than a handful of brands that do scaling well
it seems.  Sony is one.  LG is another.

Sounds like the Sony actually lets you use only the proper 1280x720 then
on the '+1' setting, while scaling on the normal setting.  The overscan
setting makes no sense.

> I wonder it there's a test available somewhere that can show what's
> happening.

If you use a computer to output a signal you can almost certainly see
what it does to small text and such.  Of course many 768 displays will
let a computer run at the native resolution, so they look fine.  If you
forced the output to 720p on the other hand you would almost certainly
notice the difference.

I have always suspected these cheap 768 displays are only 768 because
they are using cheap computer display components which happen to be
768 vertical and they figure 'bigger number is better so customers will
think this is a better display'.  Too bad they are wrong.

--
Len Sorensen