[OT] HDTV recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 16:07:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:39:13AM -0400, Scott Allen wrote:
> I believe Harmony remotes have a standard setup option to handle this
> type of input selection. They will also keep track of the current
> input to aid with this. Of course, you may have synchronisation issues
> if you use any other remote to switch inputs.

Yeah or if you accidentally block the signal to the device when using
the harmony.  The harmony does the best it can but why the designers
couldn't have used a few more IR codes to do a sane job is crazy.

> Also, even though this is the only method for changing inputs from the
> supplied remote, many TVs also have additional discrete remote codes
> to directly switch to a given input. Harmony remotes usually include
> these in their database if they're available.

Well this one sure didn't.  I checked.

I managed to change the code on the harmony for the cable box where it
defaulted to the toggle method (since the native remote does) even though
it knows the codes for on and off.  To me that is a huge flaw in the
current harmony setup software.  It should ALWAYS choose the on and off
codes whenever they exist for a device.  They are always a better choice.

--
Len Sorensen