[OT] HDTV recommendations?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 15:28:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:12:22PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> > Anyone have some recommendations for a mid-sized HDTV? I'm looking for
> about
> > a 32" at the smallest, preferably 1080p and also built in media/web
> browsing
> > would be nice. Looking at Red Flag Deals, but if anyone has any cautions
> or
> > otherwise, glad to hear it :)
>
> Avoid 1366x768 displays.  That's just wrong.  1280x720 is OK (if such
> even seemed to exist anymore), but 1920x1080 really is a lot nicer.

I haven't noticed any problems so far with the resolution. Videos all play
at the correct aspect, and the computer desktop displays perfectly, without
stretching or distortion. I was wondering about the discrepancy, though. It
does seem to be arbitrary the way companies play with these standards.

> My parents bought a cheap 32" Insignia.  It has a few flaws for sure.
> It looks good and works, but a few things I had never thought would be
> relevant have become rather annoying.
>
> The selection of input is done by hitting 'input' then scrolling through
> an onscreen menu and hitting 'enter'.  This makes such a TV really
> annoying to use with a universal remote such as the Harmony, since you
> have to _look_ at the TV to know what the current input is in order to
> know how to get to another input.  That's really stupid.  It's also too
> many button presses.
>
> The power button remote code is unfortunately 'toggle power state'.
> There is no code for power on and power off.  This too makes life for the
> harmony a pain.  It is easy to get out of sync and have to step through
> the 'help' mode to fix the setting on one of the devices to get things
> back in sync.  This too would have been trivial to implement.
>
> It has no clue that certain resolutions should have certain aspect
> ratios unfortunately.  So you have to always manually switch between
> wide and normal depending on HD versus SD contents.  What a pain.
> Why can't it be as smart as mythtv and go '720 or 640 x 480 means normal
> by default, and 1920x1080 and 1280x720 means wide by default'.  How hard
> would that have been to implement?
>
> It does have a lovely display, looks good, is 1920x1080, but man the UI
> design and behaviour is awful.
>
> Compared to their old Sony CRT that this replaced, I can almost see
> why Sonys cost more now.  Apparently they actually think when designing
> things.  This just can't be right.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Thomas Milne