[OT] HDTV recommendations?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 15:27:41 UTC 2011

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Avoid 1366x768 displays.  That's just wrong.  1280x720 is OK (if such
> even seemed to exist anymore), but 1920x1080 really is a lot nicer.

My 32" Sony Bravia is one of those 1366 x 768 models.  It looks fine.
I've often wondered if the 720 line sets use the entire display or just
mask off 1280 x 720.  My Sony set has a "Display Area" setting, which I
can use to set the display to 3 modes, "+1", "Normal" and "-1".  +1
displays in the original size, Normal is recommended size and -1 overscans.

I wonder it there's a test available somewhere that can show what's
happening.