xen on Ubuntu 10.04

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 12 15:46:58 UTC 2011

On 06/12/2011 09:29 AM, William Muriithi wrote:
> Afternoon,
>
> I have researched for a way of setting up a xen with Ubuntu as a dom0
> and it seem like its not possible unless one compile it from source.
> Thats fine for a small test server, but I usually feel like its a bad
> idea to install software from source for a production system. I would
> rather use Centos 5 than take that route.
>
> Have any one here managed to install xen on Lucid using packaged xen
> alone?  Compiling xen to deb packages first do count as perfect
> solution but anything that bypass the package management system is a
> big no.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> William

I can't speak to Ubuntu, but I did experiment a lot with Xen on recent
Fedoras. Xen has been under very heavy development the last year or two
while they worked to get everything into the mainline kernel. That will
finally be finished with the 3.0 kernel.

I never could get the newer version stable (4.x), and ended up sticking
with Xen on EL5 (CentOS 5.x). The 2.6.18 kernel and the Xen 3.x
hypervisor/dom0 are very, very stable, if lacking some of the newer
features. I don't expect it would be any different on the Debian
derivative distros.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"I feel confined, only free to expand myself within boundaries."