[OT] HDTV recommendations?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 12 15:22:20 UTC 2011

Thomas Milne wrote:
> Damn. You know, I can remember the first time I saw a flat panel TV,
> it was at Costco about 15 years ago. It might have been maybe 40". It
> was _twelve thousand dollars_.

That's why I tell people to not bother with converters.  By the time
you've paid for it, you've covered about 25-30% of the cost of a new HD
set and with a converter you're stuck with a SD set that cannot deliver
anywhere near the same picture.

I bought my first HD TV, a 42" Sharp Aquos, for about $900 at Future
Shop, almost 2.5 years ago.  I also have a 23" 1080p LG computer monitor
that's also connected to a HD cable box.

BTW, I took my old analog sets to Goodwill.  The guy there said they
take them, but can't get rid of 'em.  Fortunately, in Mississauga, the
Goodwill depot is at the same location as the recycling centre.  ;-)