USB causes kernel crashes...

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 10 18:12:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 01:13:53PM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> > Any ideas? Suggestions?
>
> 1) There's something broken in your HW
> 2) Does the same USB action cause crashes using an Ubuntu live CD? Maybe
> you should reconsider your use of Gentoo.

Pretty sure it's a kernel issue. It does *not* happen with 2.6.37-r4, where
I can plug and unplug devices willy-nilly. Plus, there are others who report
the same problem with the 2.6.38/9 kernels. No doubt it does interact with my
hardware -- I don't have the problem on my other computers -- but then again,
it's my hardware that I'm stuck with, and it would be good to make it work.

Since it does seem to be a kernel problem, there's no reason to reconsider the
use of gentoo, I shouldn't think. If some other distro has patched the kernel
to avoid the problem, well, patching and compiling is what gentoo is all about.

I have a shiny new Kubuntu disc around I'll try it with this afternoon, but
its kernel may not be new enough to exhibit the problem. I'll post the results
once I have them.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42