Wireless routers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 10 16:28:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:00:47PM -0400, Scott Allen wrote:
> Instead of bridging, I would tend towards using a router in client
> mode, as I and Hugh have suggested. This would use NAT/PAT
> masquerading and firewalling, as with any normal router, to isolate
> your wired devices from the rest of the world. This solves the problem
> for wired devices.

Not all routers will work as a wifi client.  Many bridge mode setups can't
do routing.  openwrt and such of course will do whatever they want.

> Again, you would then place your own wireless access point on this
> local LAN to provide access for your wireless devices. Alternatively,
> you could connect all wireless devices directly to the landlord's
> router, but as Jamon Camisso pointed out, this exposes your wireless
> devices directly to the landlord and anyone else allowed to connect to
> the landlord's wireless interface.

Absolutely.

So ideally, locate a wifi router that can work as a wifi client and do
routing and firewalling and all that, or use a seperate wifi adapter in
each device and make each one do their own firewalling, or use a single
wifi bridge and make every device do their own firewalling (but with
better speed between local devices).

--
Len Sorensen