Wireless routers

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 10 16:00:47 UTC 2011

On 10 June 2011 11:18, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It is also possible on _some_ wireless routers to turn them into wireless
> bridges (which is actually what the device I mentioned above is), and use
> it as a way to connect multiple computers to that router (with routing
> mode turned off) to the wireless network.  If you have multiple
> computers/devices to connect that don't do wireless themselves, this
> might be the best option.

Instead of bridging, I would tend towards using a router in client
mode, as I and Hugh have suggested. This would use NAT/PAT
masquerading and firewalling, as with any normal router, to isolate
your wired devices from the rest of the world. This solves the problem
for wired devices.

Again, you would then place your own wireless access point on this
local LAN to provide access for your wireless devices. Alternatively,
you could connect all wireless devices directly to the landlord's
router, but as Jamon Camisso pointed out, this exposes your wireless
devices directly to the landlord and anyone else allowed to connect to
the landlord's wireless interface.