A Open Source Software project that lets you map a computer network

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 8 00:19:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 05:59:40PM -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone knows of a good open source product (or if any is
>>available) that I can use to generate a Diagram of a computer network.
>>
>>(Computers,routers,switches,network boxes)
>
> I use dia[1] for all my non-scripted diagramming needs.  For generated
> diagrams I use graphviz[2].
>
> [1] http://live.gnome.org/Dia
> [2] http://www.graphviz.org/

I mirror that list, though I often use TCM for "structural modelling"
   http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/

It's not nearly as "pretty" as Visio, but when designing stuff, less
is often more.

I'll observe that the MacOS product, OmniGraffle, uses GraphViz as its
rendering tool.  I think there's room for a tool that helps generate
GraphViz files, graphically, but then uses the very-smart capabilities
of GraphViz to arrange the objects on the page.

The two things Dia has as serious deficiencies, doubtless compared to
Visio, are:
a) Inability to import from dynamic things (e.g. - like reading in SQL
schemas to generate E/R diagrams, and such), and
b) Absence of automatic layout.

The "OmniGraffle model" of using GraphViz to manage layout could be an
answer to that.