How to change GIMP defaults?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 7 23:49:48 UTC 2011

  I use GIMP for working on photos I take.  When I change the size of
the X dimension, it's because I'm cropping the image in the X dimension.
I do *NOT* want to reduce the Y size correspondingly.  When I open an
image and select...  "Image ==> Canvas Size" the Width and Height are
linked together, and I sometimes forget to unlink them, wasting time and
having to re-do crops.  Is there a way to get the default to be that the
Width and Height are not linked?  I looked at...  "Edit ==> Preferences",
but couldn't find anything relavant.