Pan newsreader cannot be installed on Debian Sid

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel-HRJVlgn2G/y5aS82P/H3Zg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 7 19:56:27 UTC 2011

Pan newsreader package in Debian Sid cannot be installed. It has a
dependency for libgmime-2.0-2a ... but libgmime-2.4-2 is installed.
This appears to be a known problem:

http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=sid&package=pan

I tried downloading and installing all the other dependencies + the
more-recent available version of libgmime - older version is not
availble in Sid - and downloading and installing the pan package with
a 'dpkg --ignore-depends=libgmime-2.0-2a -i pan_0.133-1.1_i386.deb'
... but it won't launch:

$ pan
pan: error while loading shared libraries: libgmime-2.0.so.2: cannot

It *really* wants that libgmime-2.0-2a.

Any suggestions how I might work around this? Thanks!

--
(\__/) -- Daniel
(=.= ) -- http://circuidipity.com