BIOS updates in Linux?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 7 14:05:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 07:06:41PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> Yeah, I just found this:
>
> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2V/
>
> Quote:
>
> With ASUS EZ Flash, you can update BIOS directly from the BIOS setup menu.
> No more DOS-based flash utility and bootable diskette required.
>
> However, I can find nothing in the BIOS menu when I boot and hit Del or F2,
> and again hitting alt+f2 just kills the display, I get 'no signal' from the
> monitor.

The same place you would hit Del is where you would hit alt+f2.  Of course
some boards may use a different key.  It is NOT in the BIOS menu, it is
before that.

The manual says that during the BIOS test, hit alt+F2 and have a file
named M2V.ROM on floppy.  Not sure they mean only floppies are supported.
I hope not.  Of course a USB emulating a floppy might work too, not sure.
I guess it depends how old the machine is.  Some machines are old enough
that floppies are simply assumed to exist.

Of course getting a freedos bootable floppy image that can be put on a
CD with floppy boot emulation should work too.

--
Len Sorensen