Wireless routers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 7 05:43:10 UTC 2011

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

|   I'm finding
| that I prefer to treat my router as an appliance that's as dumb as I
| can keep it.

"Pick your battles" is a way of putting it.

I don't get around to hacking on consumer wireless routers as much as
I intend.  Evidence for your point.

I use a stock Linksys WRT400N as a wireless router for my household.  I want to
use it as a wireless access point, but it causes my wired network to
get into a bad state.  I think.  I haven't had time to debug that.

The WRT400N seemed like a good choice when I bought it last year.

+ dual band N

+ all Atheros, so there are open source drivers so it is good for
  OpenWRT

+ lots of RAM and flash

- 100M wired ethernet, not 1G

+ reasonable price (well under $100).

- now replaced in the Linksys/Cisco line I think.

I use old PCs for my two main routers ("security gateways").  I'd like
to hack an amply powerful consumer wireless router to replace them.
The weather is getting hotter.  The project just doesn't get to the
top of my pile.

If you don't care about dual-band N, the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND looks good
<http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd>
I saw it somewhere for $50 this week.  You can find it for $60 at Sig
Electronics.

If you don't care about N at all, I could probably let you have one of
my too-many wireless routers that support only B and G.