OT Rescue CDs/DVDs

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 4 18:58:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Will work if the hard disk is not too badly damaged.  If lot of
> sectors are bad, it will take forever to ever backup

I'm afraid of this, Vista takes over an hour to boot up. This is an HP
laptop and the hard drive test from the startup menu fail immediately.

> If its not usable easily in mounted state, you may try this.  It also
> help by minimizing the damage of the failing disk buy avoiding reading
> from failed sectors.
>
> dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2 conv=sync,noerror
>
> Investigate if you need to create similar size partition on the backup
> drive as I have not done it yet, but that would be my preferred
> approach if I was in your shoes.  Someone here may even enlighten us
> on that and save you experimenting on a weak drive

Will this work if I put the failing hard drive into a USB 2.0
enclosure? I'm thing of doing a straight hard drive replacement.

Ivan.