HDMI out to TV, no sound

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 4 12:42:30 UTC 2011

It's okay, it was just a general question about HDMI :)

I have the sound going through a separate cable now.

I _wish_ I had a TV tuner card, but this is just a regular old GPU.
Eventually I would like to experiment with MythTV, but I don't even have
cable. I literally download _everything_ that I watch.

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Does sound work when you watch tv on the computers monitor? A little
> more information would be helpful. Do you have optical out for sound
> on the video card. Also some video card ship with a dongle to make an
> external connection to the sound card. However that doesn't work in
> all cases.  Which tv tuner software are you using I've had success
> without using a dongle by piping a tvtime signal through arecord by
> addressing the hardware directly.
>
> Here's an example to fool around with.
>
> tvtime | arecord -D hw:1,0 -r 32000 -c 2 -f S16_LE | aplay
>
> If you are using jack you might have to address the hardware
> differently as, in -plugD or somthing like that. I dont' use jack
> currently  but I have been reading about it as Alsa and OSS seem to be
> on their way out in favor of Pulse and Jack.
>
> Regards
> Russell
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Thomas Milne
> <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I've googled this, and I can't find a straight answer:
> > If I have an HDMI out on my video card, and I connect to my TV, is that
> all
> > I need? Should that convey the sound? The manual for the video card says
> > nothing on the subject. There were no extra cables or anything, though
> some
> > people seem to be saying you need to connect the video card to a sound
> > device?
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Milne

Thomas Milne