HDMI out to TV, no sound

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 3 22:32:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 06:08:56PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> I've googled this, and I can't find a straight answer:
>
> If I have an HDMI out on my video card, and I connect to my TV, is that all
> I need? Should that convey the sound? The manual for the video card says
> nothing on the subject. There were no extra cables or anything, though some
> people seem to be saying you need to connect the video card to a sound
> device?

Some video cards have audio support.  Many do not.

You would have to use the video card's audio device for sound output to
get sound on HDMI.  Some video cards needed an spdif cable connected to
the sound to transfer the audio.

On my laptop in alsamixer I see:

Card: HDA Intel
Chip: Nvidia MCP77/78 HDMI

So I suspect it would be connected correctly if I tried HDMI (I never
have so far).

/proc/asound/cards only shows one audio device in this case.

--
Len Sorensen