Laser Compatible Printers for linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 3 19:36:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 02:46:13PM -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> I have a HP 1320 Laser printer, and noticed that cartridges are 209.00 at
> business depot.  I did some google searches and saw that there are other
> stores online that sells them for $35 + tax + shipping.
>
> The online stores don't sell an Official HP brand but sells a generic brand.

Not surprising.

> 2 Questions:
>
> 1. Would like your guys input, would it be better if I just buy a $209 color
> laser printer? If so, can someone recommend me a good one that is compatible
> with linux?

Well to be compatible, the best bet is get one that speaks postscript
natively, and has an ethernet interface.  They it will work with
everything ever (Even ancient Macs and Amigas and such speak postscript
and would work with it).

You could get something that uses PCL6, but it is nowhere near as
compatible in general as postscript.  I see a samsung PCL6 colour laser
at canada computers for $210.  Of course for $400 you could get a xerox
6280/DN with duplex and 5 times the print speed and postscript.  Only
issue I have ever heard of is one person I know that had the pins on the
cartridge detection break while changing toner cartridges.  I think that
was on a 6180N.  My father has used a 6300 for many years and it just
keeps working.  Of course toner catridges from xerox cost a fortune,
while other brands cost less than half (high capacity black for a 6280
is $200 for a xerox, and $80 to $100 for other brands.  Obviously the
printer doesn't ship with high capacity cartridges).

> 2. Has anyone tried generic brands for laser toners? If so, do you guys have
> any recommendations?

Unlike inkjet, toner generally just works.  I suspect there exists bad
toner, but I haven't encountered any.

--
Len Sorensen