Fwd: First stable of Mageia is out!

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 2 18:19:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM,  <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Anyone know the purpose of putting all of those resources into this fork of
> Mandriva? From their web site...
>
> "What is different about Mageia?
> <snip>
> Mageia is about quality – our release promises to be as solid and perfect as
> Mandriva at its best; that’s our heritage."
>
> So why spend time making something as perfect as something that already
> exists?

The pointedly notable imperfection of Mandriva is the matter of
"organizational instability."

There have been a number of reorganizations over the years.  Sadly, I
don't think it's too likely that Mageia will change this - deep
improvement would require some sort of rather broadly owned
organization.

Mageia is forking a branch off of the existing tree, and by virtue of
not having deeper/broader roots, this isn't a crucial improvement.