Fwd: First stable of Mageia is out!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 1 20:18:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 04:08:23PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 04:03 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 03:52:44PM -0400, Sadiq Saif wrote:
> >>Anybody thinking of giving this a try?
> >
> >I really can't imagine ever going back to an RPM based system.  I thought
> >all the cool new distributions were Debian derived anyhow, rather than
> >yet another incompatible RPM system.
> >

> o_O?
>
> I've had no troubles on RPM (Fedora) for about a year now, having
> migrated away from Ubuntu.

Well Ubuntu was never being considered usable by me.  No one with fixed
release dates will ever get it right.  It is overall a disaster.

I used redhat from 2.0 to 6.2 and gave up on it because the quality was
going seriously downhill.  Fedora certainly has NOT improved on that,
nor does it claim to.  Fedora is a development system for RHEL, and
makes no claims to be anything else.

I will stick with Debian, which is what I moved to from redhat.
It works very well, releases when ready, and accepts input from users
and is completely transparent.  Very few other distributions are (a few
are though).  Debian's unstable branch puts many stable releases of
other distributions to shame in terms of reliability.

Most RPM systems are lousy at upgrading (I am still not sure why they
haven't got this part right yet), at least compared to Debian.

The spec file systax for making RPM packages is horible.  Debian's source
package system is vastly prettier, easier to use and much more flexible
to work with.

Debian also has more packages in its archives than any other distribution.
Perhaps that should be postfixed with a "that I know off" but I highly
doubt I need to.

If you want to see what Ubuntu should have been, look at Mint Linux.

--
Len Sorensen