Computer repair/assembly in Etobicoke?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 1 18:58:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 01:25:46PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
> lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 11:19:22AM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> > > I usually went to this guy down on Lakeshore for hardware stuff that I
> > could
> > > not handle myself. Now they are 'web only'. Wonderful.
> > >
> > > Anyone know a place in Etobicoke that is good for this stuff?
> > >
> > > Alternatively, can someone show me how to install a motherboard?
> >
> > http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/assemble3.php
> >
> > Seems well written.
> >

> It is very well-written. I understand the process logically, but there a
> couple of things that the motherboard manual does not explain that are
> completely opaque to me. For one, the case has these wires that connect to
> the motherboard for the power switch and for audio, and I cannot figure out
> where they are supposed to go. The other thing is that I might even be doing
> something wrong from the get-go. I want to try a motherboard I've had lying
> around for a few years, an Asus M2V. I can't even tell if this board will
> work with this case...

There should be a 2 x 10 pin connector, usually at the bottom front
corner of the motherboard.  This is where those all connect, in a rather
horrible manner.  Probably the worst connector left in a PC these days.

The manual will tell you which of the pins is what, and often they are
labeled on the board too (in microscopic print of course).

I believe that board came with a q-connector, which actually makes
it a bit easier.  In that case you can connect all the cables to
the q-connector which is pretty nicely labeled, and then attach the
q-connector to the white connector on the mainboard.  A lot less fiddly.

When installing, the white wire is negative, the coloured wire is
positive.  This matters for LEDs, but not for power and reset switches.
All you really need is HD/IDE LED, power LED, power switch, and if you
have one, reset switch.  Anything else (like message LED some cases had)
isn't useful.  Some people like the case speaker hooked up too I guess.

The pins for each is in the manual on page 2-29 (section 10 of chapter 2)
as far as I can tell.

If the case is ATX (it has the rectangular metal plate with holes for
various ports that are on the motherboard), then it will work.  You need
the plate that came with the board to put in the cutout in the case.

--
Len Sorensen