Somethings Up with my Evolution Install ??

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 1 17:50:27 UTC 2011

jim wrote:
> I'm still looking for a solution to this. Today I opened a pdf
> attachment I received, then closed it. Next time I went to the email and
> tried to open the attachment again a message came up saying the PDF was
> corrupted and couldn't be opened?? Anyone have any ideas whats going on
> here. Just wondering if it could be a hard drive issue rather than
> Evolution? I haven't seen such weirdness with other programs however.

It's possible that it's corruption due to dodgy hardware (a memory
error, a hard drive corrupting data, a flaky cable somewhere),
though usually you'd see evidence from other programs as well.

Memtest86 is the traditional thing for making sure the RAM is good.

I have seen files have bitrot over time, or on copy; a filesystem like
ZFS that does checksums internally, or a sysadmin like myself being
paranoid and tracking checksums on files, can catch that.

--
Anthony de Boer