cloning a drive [was: war story]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 28 00:20:46 UTC 2011

| From: William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>

| I can do 'ls -l' and it shows where it's pointing to.  With hardlink, I
| don't know where are the other files, and have to 'find -inum'.

With a hardlink, there are no other files.  All are the same file.

I think what you mean is "with a hardlink, I don't know what other
pathnames designate the same file".

Your wording suggests that you really haven't internalized the meaning
of "file" in UNIX.

On the other hand, with hardlinks, you know how many there are (the
inode has a reference counter).  Try that with symlinks.