Need a wireless router recommendation to server 40+ people

Tue Jul 26 19:58:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 09:53:02AM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>I am providing tech support for a meeting next month, and we want to
>offer wifi to the attendees - 40+ people.  I've got wired gigabit to the
>room, so the question is, which router can I buy that I can configure as
>an open access point and will not barf under 40 people hitting a website
>at once?  Thanks!

UPDATE:

The event has come and gone and here is what I used and how it worked:

Cisco Small Business WRV210
I ran this in b/g Mixed mode on channel 1

Linksys E2500
This is a simultaneous dual-band router, running b/g in Mixed mode on
channel 12 and running n on the other radio

One thing I found interesting was that I couldn't chain the two routers
together - neither would work/pick up an IP from the other.  I thought
you could plug one into the wall drop and the other into the first one,
but it never worked.  I arranged to use 2 drops, which worked fine.

The Cisco offers more IPs (150 IIRC) compared to the Linksys (50), but I
felt like it was good to have both.

Results:
People mostly connected without difficulty, and the connections were
solid all three days.  I suspect I could have gotten away with one (the
heaviest work we did online all week was Twitter polling), but neither
router was expensive, and I was glad to have more than one thing to try
when we have conflicts (one users laptop wanted a preset IP, and we had
a collision, but it was easy to sort out).

Thanks for everyone's help!
--

yours,

William