Openoffice/Libreoffice... is it slow for you too?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 25 16:13:44 UTC 2011

On 07/25/2011 12:06 PM, William Park wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Openoffice/Libreoffice has never been "fast".  But, when it's first launched, it's fast enough that I can't complain.  But, when I switch to text console (Ctrl-Alt-Fx) and come back to X, the monitor is black for few seconds (which is very long time, I might add).  After that, Openoffice/Libreoffice is so slow that it becomes unusable.  It's only Office that's slow, though.  X itself is okey, and other X applications (ie. xterm, firefox) are okey too.
>
> Has anyone experienced the same thing?
>         Kernel-3.0.0
>         NVidia-275.21
>         Openoffice-3.0
>         Libreoffice-3.4.1
>
> KWord (KDE) is way faster, but it doesn't have the features that I need.
>
> Anyways, I tried Lyx for the first time, yesterday.  I liked it.  Very intuitive, if you know LaTeX, of course.  I installed it at home and at work!

I *really* like Kile - wrote my whole thesis with it. Great LaTeX editor.

Regarding the slowdown, which Java JRE are you using? I have best
results with sun-java6-jre for applications. openjdk-6-jre is great and
all, but I run into a lot of KVM, lights out management applications and
the like just won't run without the full on Oracle JRE.

Jamon