possible router platforms

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 17 04:13:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 03:04:52PM -0400, James Knott wrote
> Walter Dnes wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:39:01PM -0400, James Knott wrote
> >

> >> How many people have an internet connection that's better than 100
> >> Mb/s?  I expect many could get by with a 10 Mb NIC.
> >>
> >    If you only have one computer, yes.  But if you have more than one
> > machine, and want to transfer files between them, a gigabit connection
> > is nice.
> >

> Then you'd need Gb NICs on those computers.  The NIC on the router is
> irrelevant for local traffic.  It's only when you connect to the
> internet or another network that you'd pass through the router.

  I have only 1 router/modem, with 3 machines behind it.  In addition to
NATing my internet connection, the router/modem also handles traffic
between my machines...

_____________     ___
| machine A |-    |R|
| machine C |-    ---

  Connecting to the internet uses the same cat5 cable and jacks and NIC
as connecting to one of the other machines behind the router.  What am I
missing?  Is there really an money saved by having 1 Gbit connections
locally and 10 or 100 megabits on the internet side?