Talk about talks

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 15 02:15:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Christopher Browne wrote:

> i) Clustered filesystems, like GFS / OCFS2
>
> Much as with clustering as a general topic, questions that emerge include:
> - So what?
> - Why would I want this in the first place?  Isn't NFS fine?

Oh this one's easy.  You've realised you have too much free time and need
to spend more time debugging inane filesystem problems.

Seriously, cluster filesystems are often not the right answer.  You pay a
price for using them (performance, perhaps stability).  There's a long
list of sysadmins who used to use clustering filesystems.

Yeah I know you were raising points for the talk not for a discussion now
but this is a LUG list so I couldn't help myself :)

> - What other options are there?

Something like HADOOP/HDFS that stores data in multiple locations _may_ be
a better option in many cases.

> - What would cause me to head back to local filesystems or NFS?

A desire for peace and quiet ;)

> ii) Distributed filesystems
> - Why would I want this in the first place?  Isn't NFS fine?
> - Why would I prefer 9p?  Or AFS?  Or InterMezzo?

9p is cool.  I wish Plan 9/Inferno was more popular.

> Something that struck me as interesting would be for Drew (perhaps
> along with Myles) to do a talk that might be entitled, "GTALUG
> Infrastructure: Keeping a free software based system running for 10
> years."

Nice.

Cheers,

Rob