Talk about talks

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 13 17:20:20 UTC 2011

A couple of ideas for talks came up last night...

There was quite a bit of interest in distributed filesystems.

There seem to be two directions this could go, both legitimate:

i) Clustered filesystems, like GFS / OCFS2

Much as with clustering as a general topic, questions that emerge include:
- So what?
- Why would I want this in the first place?  Isn't NFS fine?
- What would cause me to prefer GFS over OCFS2 or vice-versa?
- What other options are there?
- What would cause me to head back to local filesystems or NFS?

ii) Distributed filesystems
- Why would I want this in the first place?  Isn't NFS fine?
- Why would I prefer 9p?  Or AFS?  Or InterMezzo?
- What aspects of these will make me prefer to poke burning needles in
my eyes, and run back, crying, to NFS?
- What about NFSv4?

Something that struck me as interesting would be for Drew (perhaps
along with Myles) to do a talk that might be entitled, "GTALUG
Infrastructure: Keeping a free software based system running for 10
years."