Atari computer(s) available

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 5 17:58:25 UTC 2011

I got an ST originally just because I liked the idea so much, and then
started an informal user group so we could figure out together how to work
the thing.

The mono screen was light-years ahead of the usual TV set display at the
time. Then I saw a demo of LaTex being used to typeset math on the Atari
laser printer and was so impressed I went out and bought the printer the
next day. It was about $1600 and had *no* intelligence whatsoever.

LaTeX on the Atari was pretty painful by comparison with the modern
working environment, compiling at a rate of a few seconds per line of
text. But it did the job.

The Atari ST also had the capability of genlocking to a video source, so
you could do video overlays and such. Very impressive at the time. Quite
expensive compared to the usual accessories, but a tiny fraction of the
cost of a commercial unit.

Peter

> The Atari ST is famous for being the computer that was used by most
> electronic music producers in the late 80s/early 90s.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST
>
> I was really, *really* tempted, but it wouldn't make any sense for me
> to have one right now. :-)
>
> - Fabio
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:46, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>> wrote:
>>> At least a couple of others on the list used STs back in their day.
>>
>> I have a 1040STe that was upgraded to 2MB hiding in a closet.  I think
>> the monitor's still in Texas :-).
>>
>>> There was a Linux port, but only to later STs -- ones with MMUs.  That
>>> would be the TT and the Falcon.  Neither of those sold very well.  If
>>> anyone is disposing of a Falcon, I'd take it.
>>
>> The Falcon was pretty nearly "legendary," in various relevant senses.
>> I don't think they ever got a production line going, so any units out
>> there are likely-hand-made prototypes.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Falcon
>>
>> The Transputer-based ATW would also be interesting.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Transputer_Workstation>  Perfect
>> for all your Occam needs!  (Except that the ATW possibly didn't run
>> Occam, and your Occam needs are likely better served by tock
>> <http://projects.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/tock/trac/>.)
>> --
>> When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the
>> question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325