OT: Unhashed passwords

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 5 15:48:54 UTC 2011

| From: Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Anyone know if there's a listing of sites/domains that keep user passwords
| in an unhashed form?

You can never know that a site does not do that.  A special case of
the rule of testing: testing can never show that there are no bugs.

Never recycle passwords.

I always generate unique ones for each site.  I use expect's mkpasswd.
That maximizes entropy without consuming any from my brain.

Mailman is pretty clear about the insecurity of its passwords.