Rogers signal encryption [was Re: Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 31 16:19:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 05:11:39PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> That certainly isn't the case here.  An analogue tuner will work for 2
> to 28 (and more, depending on your subscription).  But a digital tuner
> just plain won't work unless it is a Rogers STB.
>
> If your Samsung is getting 2 to 28 without the aid of your Rogers STB,
> it must be using its NTSC (analogue) tuner, not its ATSC (digital)
> tuner.  An ATSC tuner can do nothing with a Rogers signal.
>
> I don't know what exactly you (or Rogers) mean by "VIP".  They brand
> "products" and change them faster than I pay attention.  But I think that
> I've got it.  I get lots of analogue signals above 28 and none is
> encrypted.  Analog encryption ("scrambling") seems to have disappeared.

Rogers Digital VIP is a package containing all the analog channels
available, basic digital, one SD box, up to 4 cable outlets, canadian
timeshifting stations, all the music channels and whatever else is part
of the basic digital cable service.  I suspect it is one of their most
popular packages.

> Premium movie channels etc. are not available in analogue, even if you
> subscribe.
>
> | I caved and go another SD box for $49.00.
>
> Good price.  I just paid exactly that to get my HD box fixed -- bad
> power supply.  I wouldn't be surprised if your box has the same power
> supply.

Well the HD boxes seem to go for $200 to $250 or so.  I think the SD
box can be had for $100 often, so $49 is very nice.

Speaking of rogers, I think I can finally ditch the rogers cable modem
since teksavvy appears to now have thornhill cable modem support.  That
should save me $20 or so per month and give me much larger bandwidth cap.

--
Len Sorensen