Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 31 16:13:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:25:24PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> At my house I get much more than basic cable using the Rogers cable tuner
> box at the main TV. The TV tuner card in my PC also recieves the cable
> signal without an external tuner box. I am able to watch and record any
> cable channels from 2 through 70 inclusive.
>
> With all the talk of going digital for TV broadcasts, I do wonder how the
> signals on cable TV may be affected at some point. I hope Rogers won't
> drop all analog signals off the cable but I don't think I would be too
> surprised if I heard of plans to do that at some point. It would be a big
> hassle though for people with VCR's and DVD recorders. They would need
> lots of additional converter boxes and/or digital/HD tuners until the
> recorders come with HD compatible tuners in them.

HD compatible tuners are useless in rogers teritory since they encrypt
everything.  The US is much better off since at least local stations are
supposed to be unencrypted so a digital tuner could actually receive them.
On the other hand I don't believe they are allowed to let it record
above SD resolution from that signal.  Not sure.

--
Len Sorensen