Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.

John Myshrall jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 29 12:54:29 UTC 2011

On 11-01-28 05:13 PM, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 17:02, John Myshrall<jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> On 11-01-28 04:16 PM, Michael Lauzon wrote:

>>> My former friend has Rogers Cable hooked up to his PC with a TV tuner
>>> card, and is able to record shows, etc.
>>>
>> The basic channels are not encrypted.
>>
>> I too have wondered why the Roger's and others are allowed to downgrade
>> signals, encrypted and then require a special box. I own 2 SD boxes and
>> refuse to buy or rent an HD box.
>>
>> I have an OTA antennae in my attic and get all the Toronto and US chanels in
>> HD.  Especially nice for the US commercials during the Superbowl when I
>> utilize it with my computer and display via my projector onto 100" screen.
>>
>> John
> He doesn't have Basic Cable from Rogers though, he has VIP.

The basic channels 2 - 28 and some other ones are not encrypted.

It doesn't matter if you have VIP those channels will come in without a
roger box on a tv with a digital or analog tuner (for now). I have both
here where I live and some packaged that is between VIP and basic. I got
it the better deal because I threaten to switch. My Analog TV will not
get the VIP service and neither would my 24 LCD Samsung. They both got
the basic channels albeit 1 digital and the other analog. I caved and go
another SD box for $49.00.

If your former friend is recording VIP channels then they must be
routing it through a rogers box otherwise the VIP channels are
encrypted. I can record basic on mine without a rogers box. I don't
bother anymore because one of my SD boxes is a PVR that they gave me for
free.

John