midi on ubuntu?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 26 22:18:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hey folks:
>
> sorry for hte long delay, fabio.  I figured out that the usb out was
> actually just for power -- oops! -- and I needed to hook up a usb-midi
> converter to get the midi signal out.  Did that, now it seems to be working
> (see below)
>
> Really all my daughter wants to do is some minimal practicing -- that is,
> she wants ot be able to hear some notes when she presses the keys on the
> keyboard.  More complex stuff may come after I guess.
>
> So, the question:  what software should I install for her?  In rosegarden, I
> can see the midi events on the midi transport, but I don't see how to hear
> any sounds.  muse won't run, complains about a missing midi sequencer (and
> anyway, the two use incompatible versions of jack on ubuntu).
>
> I *don't* want to trash pulse -- if only because I've spent years fighting
> with alsa & jack in the past, and now I mostly just want to be able to
> listen to my music on banshee or amarok or gogglesmm without writing
> .aconfrc files & such.  But I am certainly willing to run qjackctl under
> pasuspender while my daughter's practicing. But surely there's a simple way
> just to listen to the output of the keyboard in some straightforwardway?
> I'm trying qsynth right now but it doesn't seem to be working.  Again, any
> help appreciated!  thanks,
> matt

Muse might be worth a try (apt-get install muse).  Some additional
resources that may also be worth looking at:

 - <http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Creating_your_setup>
 - <http://www.linux-sound.org/midi.html>

 Linux MIDI: a Brief History (a bit dated, but might be worthwhile)
 - Part 1 - <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7773>
 - Part 2 - <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7912>
 - Part 3 - <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7918>
 - Part 4 - <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8050>