I/O throughput analysis

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 22 19:28:06 UTC 2011

Hello pals,

A workmate and I had an argument that we could not seem to agree on
yesterday. That mean we did not learn anything from the discussion and
I would like to hear your opinion on it. It could help make sense of
each other arguments

Which of these two systems would have a better input output
performance?  Both system have the same configurations, CPU, chipset
everything down the power supply. They differ though with the number
of hard disk.  Both system has a RAID card with a maximum speed of 6
GB per sec

System A  has 6 drives. Each drive has a specification of 1500 RPM,
300 GB size SAS interface.

System B has 8 drives.  Each drive is 146GB in size, 1500 RPM and also
with a SAS interface.

SAS interface can comfortably handle 3 GB per second.

So, in your opinion, is the RAID card a potential bottleneck on both systems?

Which of the two system would offer a better throughput ?

Regards,

William