AMD vs. nVidia binary driver?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 21 17:38:30 UTC 2011

On 01/21/2011 10:23 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> ATI's drivers have often been buggy (to the point of starting X crashes
> the box hard).  Last time I had the misfortunate of trying to use them,
> you had to manually put '24 bit colour' in the X config, or the driver
> would crash because it didn't support 8 bit colour.  Of course the next
> driver version which supports newer X versions and kernels obsoleted
> support for a card they are still selling.

How long ago was this? Long enough ago that they were still branded as
ATI I expect.

Things have changed with the switch to AMD from what I can tell. For
example: I have a new 6850 card. The Linux driver doesn't even
officially support it yet, but the installer ran just fine and I am up
and running with nicely accelerated graphics.

> ATI makes great hardware.  I used to use them a lot.  Then things started
> needing drivers, and that's not something ATI has ever done well.
>
> I would actually assume the open source driver for an ATI is way more
> stable than the binary ones, but probably has a lot less features too.

Both work well.

Jamon